Monday, January 28, 2013

comic lady necklaces

As you might have been able to tell from the batman dress, I've become somewhat obsessed with comic books in the last few months. Why did it take me this long to realize comics are awesome?! I'm mostly working on DC comics, partly because I like the characters, and partly because unlike Marvel, DC likes to reboot their whole universe periodically, so I don't have to start back in the 60s to get the whole story. My current goal is to read through all of the post Infinite-crisis, pre New 52 series that interest me, which gives me a good 25 years of comics to catch up on! Anyway, this is all a way of explaining why I made these:

Power Girl, and her marvellous boob-window

While searching idly for Huntress jewelry on etsy the other day, I realized that I could make any of the things I was finding pretty easily, and probably have great fun doing it! Inspired by a tutorial  on F Yeah Lolita, I ordered a bunch of cabochons and settings, some old comic books (not rare-old, just cheep-old), and ribbon for necklaces, and waited impatiently for everything to arrive. When it finally all did, I got to work cutting and pasting like the child I am at heart :).

Black Canary, all in sepia because this frame was a flashback

I made four pendants, but the glue on the other two refused to dry clear, even after popping them all in a low heat oven. I'm going to have to practice more to figure out how much glue is enough without being too much, but 50% success rate isn't bad for a first try as far as I'm concerned. I'll just have to go paw through the 1$ comic bins to find more good pictures, oh the horror ;). There will be many more of these, and comic earrings/bracelets/rings in my future, of that we can be certain. Next to find: good pictures of the Huntress, Catwoman, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Zatanna. (I have a fondness for the ladies. Because you're never too old for a good role model!)

*and yes, as a confirmed bibliophile, at first I found it physically painful to cut up a (sort of) book. I had to keep reminding myself that I bought them specifically for crafts, and that if they were hard to find editions, I wouldn't have found them on ebay for 2 bucks. Luckily, making them into pretty jewelry is so much fun that I think I've gotten over the initial horror, haha. I would never use a rare or hard to find comic for raw materials though. Even though I read all of my comics in digital form (because I'm too cheap and impatient to buy them), I know that many people spend ages tracking down whole sets, and I wouldn't want to inhibit anybody's reading because of my own crafty urges.


No comments:

Post a Comment